Skip to main content

Immigration Law | Prospective Marriage Visa Application

Executive Law Group's immigration law department explains migration requirements

What is a Prospective Marriage Visa

The Prospective Marriage visa application (subclass 300) is a visa granted to people who wish to enter Australia in order to marry and live with their fiancé. The subclass 300 visa is a temporary visa granted to individuals with an intention to marry their prospective spouse within a specified period of nine months. The Prospective Marriage visa application must be submitted outside Australia where the applicant must remain until the visa is granted.

When the Prospective Marriage visa application is approved, holders are allowed to travel in and out of Australia prior to the marriage. Subclass 300 visa holders are also given the privilege to work and study in Australia. After the marriage between the applicant and the sponsor, both of them will be eligible to apply for Temporary Partner subclass 820 visas and ultimately, Permanent Partner subclass 801 visas.

Requirements for Prospective Marriage Visa Application

The qualifications for Prospective Marriage visa eligibility are as follows: the applicant must be 18 years of age, know their prospective spouse in person and have met as adults, be the opposite sex to their prospective spouse, be sponsored by their prospective spouse—who is an Australia Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen— and intend to marry and live with their prospective spouse and meet all age, health and character requirements.

Health and character requirements must be met by the applicant and an immigration law firm in Sydney can assist you with this process. Comprehensive requirements like medical examinations and police checks for any country that you have lived in for 12 months of more are necessary requirements.

Additionally, any outstanding debts to the Australia government must be repaid, or the applicant prior to the visa grant should negotiate a schedule for repayment.

Free Consultation!

Recent Posts

Employment Law

What is a Public Health Order?

What is a Public Health Order?As a civil liberties lawyer,…
Employment Law
What is Assault?
Employment Law
Types of Leave Available to Employees in Australia
Family Law
Wills and Estate Planning