Skip to main content

The mission of the NSW Police Force (NSWPF) is to work together with the community to establish a safer environment through the reduction of violence, crime and fear. In case the very people who are meant to protect you has done the opposite, you must get in touch with one of the lawyers in Sydney or lodge a complaint.

The intended aim of the NSW Police Force does not always meet their expected conclusion. Therefore, police officers and their staff are held to the highest level of professionalism and integrity to ensure that the authority they exercise is exercised responsibly. When this is not met, it is the responsibility of the public to ensure that a complaint is filed.

Everyone has the right to complain if they are dissatisfied or concerned about their interactions with not only a Police Officer but also NSW Police Force Administrative Officer and generally the NSW Police Force.

Any complaints lodged about the NSW Police Force or its employees can be made to the Commissioner of Police or the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC). You can consult with one of the lawyers in Sydney if you need further guidance before you proceed.

Steps to Address the Issue

There are two ways to complain about the misconduct of a police officer.

Firstly, you can lodge a formal written complaint with the Commissioner of Police.

  • This can be lodged or mailed via a complaint form to your local police station.
  • Or you can mail the completed complaint form to the Customer Assistance Unit at P.O. Box 3427, Tuggerah, NSW 2259, or 
  • Email your complaint form to [email protected]

Secondly, you can lodge a formal complaint with the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC) via

At Executive Law Group, we recommend lodging a complaint via the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC). Some of the best lawyers in Sydney works with us, and this is what they would suggest to their clients. The LECC is an independent statutory body responsible for investigating complaints against police. 

The primary role of the law Enforcement Conduct Commission is to detect, oversight, investigate and review of investigations by the NSW Police Force of misconduct matters concerning the conduct of its members and the NSW Crime Commission concerning its officers.

The LECC also monitors the NSW Police Force’s investigations of critical incidents. A critical incident is an accident involving a police officer or other member of the NSW Police force that results in death or serious injury to a person. If the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission forms the view that the investigation is not being conducted in an appropriate manner, it can advise the NSW Police Force and/or the Coroner of those concerns and make a recommendation in relation to concerns identified.

The NSW Police Force is required to consider and respond to the concerns and recommendations raised by the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission. Furthermore, the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC) may make this advice it has given public after the conclusion of a critical incident investigation. If you are still unsure what to do, you can ask for advice from one of the trusted lawyers in Sydney.

How to Lodge a Complaint with LECC Yourself

The Law Enforcement Conduct Commission (LECC) encourages members of the public, as well as Public Officials. To report suspected serious misconduct or serious maladministration involving the NSW Police Force or the NSW Crime Commission.

To do this, you should pass this information via a complaints form that is supplied to the LECC to appropriately deal with this matter.

Firstly, log onto the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission website. This is found at

Secondly, click on ‘Reporting Corruption or Misconduct’ which will be found at the top of the page.

Thirdly, Click on ‘Make a Complaint’.

Fourthly, You will be provided with an online form which you must complain. This will include an area in which you should detail information about the issue that has occurred to you or another member of the public. You should provide as much information as possible for investigators to appropriately deal with this issue.

Furthermore, you should provide any details that may assist investigators. This can be seen by the attachment of any supporting documentation or evidence. Supporting documents includes documents such police issue ‘Court Attendance Documents (CANs)’ or ‘Field Court Attendance Documents’ or a ‘Property Dockets’ that can be provided by Police Officers. You can also ask for assistance from one of the lawyers in Sydney to ensure that all these documents are taken care of.

Other evidence that can be provided is recorded footage of an event that can greatly assist investigators in dealing with instances of misconduct by Police Officers and their employees.

If there are any witnesses that can corroborate your version of events, it is important to provide their details within this online complaint form.

It is important to note, that all complaints that are provided to the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission can be provided with anonymity. However, if you do not provide your contact details, the LECC will not be able to advise you of the outcome of the matter or obtain any further clarifying information from you.

Lodging a Complaint on Behalf of Someone Else

There are a variety of reasons why you may lodge a complaint on behalf of someone else. For example, the person that you are lodging this complaint on behalf of suffers from a disability or special need. Or as well, they do not speak English well for numerous reasons, i.e. English is a second language (ESL).

Regardless, you still are able to make a report on behalf of someone else. However, it should be noted, that the absence of written consent or evidence that you are the guardian, the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission may not be able to provide you with personal information about the affected person in their response to your complaint. You can consult one of the lawyers in Sydney to assist you regarding this matter.

What Happens Then?

The Law Enforcement Conduct Commission will commence an assessment of your complaint, and a decision made as to what, if any, action can be undertaken by the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission. Predominantly in some cases, the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission may need to contact you for more information.

Are You Still Unhappy with the Result of the LECC?

If you are still unhappy with the result or the lack of response from the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission, we recommend that you speak with us today to address these concerns!